Getting there and away Dachstein
The nearest city to the Dachstein caves is Obertraun, Salzkammergut region, Austria. Obertraun has ca. 770 inhabitants & is located next to the Hallstaetter lake. The history city Hallstatt (Hallstatt culture) is only few km away.
- Salzburg (SZG), ca. 1:15 h per car (90 km)
- Munich (MUC), ca. 2:45 h per car (293 km)
Munich is an international airport, so it shouldn't be a problem to get flight to Munich. Salzburg is a smaller airport where also some low-cost carrier fly to e.g. Air Berlin, Air Lingus, Easyjet, Niki.
For searching flights you can use kayak.com, checkfelix.at, swoodoo.de, opodo.de
Obertraun is in the middle of lakes & mountains, therefore it takes some time to get via public transport (bus, train) to the city. With public transport from Salzburg it takes around 2:30 h.
There are possibilities to rent a car for those arriving on SZG airport. To organize groups, please feel free to enter your arrival times here:
- @LindaL72 (Linda Lemmens), arriving on Friday 1 pm. I have already booked a rental car. Feel free to join me. Return flight on Sunday half past 2 (14.30). Claudia, Martin and Annette will join me.
List for those arriving elsewhere than SZG:
- @gravinaut, arriving in MUC on Friday at 13:20, check-in time in MUC on Sunday at 13:10
- @katti86, arriving in MUC on Friday at 09:00, check-in time in MUC on Sunday at 18:30
- @JustBe74, arriving from BE and will bring @WimVo and @jkanael with me and be picking up @Akanel in Frankfurt around 11:00 on Friday.
- @peSHIr, arriving by car from NL with my wife (to our hotel in Bad Ischl for a weekend in Austria) on Friday afternoon.
- @werenolf will be driving from innsbruck to the meeting point on saturday, early in the morning. hit him up here or on twitter) if you need a lift.